Community

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Network Explorer strangeness after NR Server reboot.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:03 pm 

About a week ago my NR server went unresponsive and had to be power reset, since then all of the clients have been acting strangely. For instance, I have 4 systems on the same LAN behind the same router but in network explorer only 2 of the clients see each other and the client on the NR server and only see 1 of 2 other clients which share a LAN at a different location. The other 2 clients of the 4 can see each other and the other 1 of the clients at the different location, but can't see the client on the NR server. I've tried restarting the nrservice on the different clients and the NR server, but I still can't get all of the clients to show "online" in network explorer at the same time. The firewall is off on all of the clients, and the server checks out fine from dashboard. Needless to say I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

Post subject: Re: Network Explorer strangeness after NR Server reboot.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:27 pm 

Hi Durwood,

What version do you use? Can you try this?
When you see some computers are disabled in the computer list,
1.Run "ipconfig" on the disabled computer see if the NeoRouter adapter has VIP assigned, if yes, can you try to ping other computer from there.
This would test if it's the issue with the computer list.

2.If you can ping other computer, can you sign out and sign in again see if the disabled computer become active?

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:06 pm 

v1.1.4.2330
Client OS's: WinXP, Win2k3, Win2k, CentOS5 x32 & x64
NR Server: CentOS5 x64

PC's A-D are at one location:
PC A: 192.168.254.6
PC B: 192.168.254.7
PC C: 192.168.254.8
PC D: 192.168.254.1

PC's E&F are at another location:
PC E: 192.168.254.2
PC F: 192.168.254.10

NR server: 192.168.254.5

In the current state:
PC B, D, and E can see each other but can't see the client on the server.
PC A, C, and F can see each other but can't see the client on the server.
NR Server client can only see itself.

Trying to ping a PC that's online to some but not to the PC issuing the ping fails. So PC B, D, E cannot ping PC A, C, F, and none of them can ping the NR server VIP.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:37 pm 

Hi Durwood,

I understand your issue now, so what you mean cannot see those computers, which are online but cannot be pinged.

Can you help collect the log of nrservice of PC A? When enabled the logging, try ping from A to C (success) and A to B (fail). Please send the log file to support(at)neorouter(dot)com. We will investigate it and get back to you soon.a

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:22 pm 

Kevin,

Thanks, I just sent in the log file. Now the real odd thing, is after setting up the log.ini, logging out but not quitting, and restarting the nrservice the systems that showed as "online" changed. I still ran the ping test to one of the systems on the same LAN, and a successful test to the NR server.

After doing this one test from PC A, I went to do a similar test on PC B and C. I performed the exact same sequence of steps as above, but the strange thing is after doing this each PC started showing "online" to PC A and the NR Server. I eventually did this on all of the Windows systems minus the log.ini creation, and now all of the systems show "online" to each other.

When this problem first appeared I tried restarting the NR service, logging out and back in, logging out and quitting, etc and never received this result. The biggest problem is that as I grow the domain, this process (assuming it always works to fix it) will become more and more painful to complete. At 8 systems, it wasn't too bad and didn't take too long thankfully.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:14 am 

Hi Durwood,

We received your log file, plus your description, which proved my concern.

This is a known bug, introduced in this build, on the server side. When NR clients stop in an abnormal way, for example: unplug the cable instead of closing the NR app from the program, NR server may not be able to update the status of this computer to the computer list of other computers. Though a computer may show offline, you can still connect to it if you know it's online.

The workaround is sign in and sign out to refresh the computer list.

We've fixed the bug and will include it in the next release.

Coming soon.

Thanks,
KevinZ - NeoRouter team